On 22 October 2021 the 5 Flemish universities, UGent, KU Leuven, VUB, UHasselt, UAntwerpen together with L’Université de Liège and Janssen Pharmaceutica organise an interactive career day with an exclusive focus on data sciences. The event will be organised online, on the HOPIN platform.
Grasp this opportunity to learn more about R&D activities at Janssen Pharmaceutica, and showcase your research in a 3-minute pitch.
Joining this event, you will expand your network, receive first-hand information about careers at Janssen Pharmaceutica, lay the foundations for future academic collaboration, boost your CV with a high-level presentation before an expert audience, and maybe score a tête-à-tête with a Janssen senior lead.
An inclusive company, Janssen Pharmaceutica warmly welcomes a diverse pool of talents.
Doctoral candidates (> first year) and postdoctoral researchers from the following domains:
- PhD with a focus on data sciences + master-level training in biochemistry & biotechnology, organic chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacy, medicine, (bio)engineering or social sciences
- PhD in medicine, pharmacy, biochemistry & biotechnology, organic chemistry, pharmacology, (bio)engineering or social sciences + master-level training data sciences
- PhD in computer science (with a focus on data sciences technology)
- PhD in economics (marketing etc.) combined with data sciences
! All researchers need to submit a short, 100-word non-confidential project description + graphical abstract. The template to be used is available as download at the bottom of this page. From the submitted entries 50 project descriptions will be selected (by a Janssen jury – see download) for presentation.
The criteria observed for selection are the following:
- scientific novelty of the project
- different view on an existing problem
- other way of using data science methods / analytical technologies
- application potential or relevance of the project in data science domains within the pharma industry
- possible connection with other areas
- leverage potential from/to other application domains
- potential of obtained results so far (project status)
- clear description of the impact / results so far. Expected further results
Those selected to pitch will be offered a pitch training by Janssen Pharmaceutica (23 September, 12:00-13:30).
6 pitch winners will be nominated and offered a meeting with a Janssen Senior Lead in their field of expertise.
All participants can take part in the following (tentative) programme:
- 09:30 – Welcome (Anouk Van Hoofstadt)
- 09:30 – Opening speech – R&D@Janssen Pharmaceutica (Pieter Peeters)
- 10:00 – PhD & Postdoc Community (Eric Pelkmans, chairs of the PhD & Postdoc Community)
- 10:20 – Career development – healthiest careers (Talent Acquisition)
- 10:45 – 25 pitches
- 12:30 – Lunch break – Q&A with Talent Acquisition and PhD & Postdoc Community and careers
- 13:00 – A career in data sciences
- 14:15 – 25 pitches
- 16:00 – How to be the Architect of your Career? (see download)
- 16:30 – Proclamation of the pitch winners
- 16:45 – End
- Registration is compulsory, but free of charge. Register here. Submitting a research project description (+ graphical abstract) upon registration is compulsory.
- Deadline for submission of the project descriptions is 10 September 2021. Project descriptions, for which a template needs to be used, must be submitted to the university representative. Template: see download at the bottom of this page.
- Do not forget to have the project description signed by your supervisor, so he/she is aware of your participation in the event. In case the signature of your supervisor or senior academic host is missing on the form, be sure to include his/her email address in cc.
- Date of the Janssen Pharmaceutica–VLIR/ULiège online Interactive Career Day Data Sciences is 22 October 2021 (9:15-17:00).
- Researchers who register, but fail to attend the career day, will be charged a no show fee (except for valid reasons, e.g. illness with doctor’s certificate).
- full-day attendance is required.
In case of questions, do not hesitate to contact your university representative.
How to be the Architect of your Career?